Thursday, June 4, 2009

Riposte

In my many years as a writer, I’ve developed a fondness for the apt quotation—the acerbic riposte, the witty remark, the insightful observation on life and its foibles. This will be an ongoing gathering of bon mots.

There is no distinctly American class—except Congress.
Mark Twain

Wit is educated insolence.
Aristotle

Only the mediocre are always at their best.
Jean Girardoux

The cure for writer’s cramp is writer’s block.
Inigo de Leon

I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
Lily Tomlin

Having your book turned into a movie is like
having your oxen turned into bouillon cubes.
John Le Carré

If you are going to try cross-country skiing, start with a small country.
Saturday Night Live

I’m not afraid to die. I just don’t want to be there when it happens.
Woody Allen

Old age comes at a bad time.
Sue Banducci

I want my immortality now, and I want it in cash.
Leonore Fleischer

And finally, the message on a local T-shirt:
If it’s tourist season, why can’t we shoot them?

5 comments:

  1. COnGRATULATIONS!!! Great start to you blog! I enjoyed seeing you and your work last night at Generator! Best of luck! Look forward to getting together...Karen Wight

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lululand. I don't thhink I have ever met anyone who brings such a consistent and delightful eye to the world. Whether its writing, painting, photography or conversation Lulu is the one - Long my she reign!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda Wolcott MooreJune 17, 2009 at 12:14 AM

    A great blog, amiga, and obviously a lot of work. I thoroughly enjoyed everything on the page from the recap of the Locos to each and every quote...entertaining and revealing. Certainly no one should complain about irregular correspondence...it's all right here, and more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jose Pascual HijuelosJune 17, 2009 at 8:33 AM

    enjoyed your blog. the riposte made my morning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheridan SansegundoJune 30, 2009 at 8:44 PM

    I love your blog, Lulu! It's witty and informed, entertaining and offbeat. I particularly liked the entry about the sun coming in.

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear what you have to say about LuluLand.