Thursday, June 11, 2009

Welcome to LuluLand

LuluLand is on its way. I’m excited, but terrified about the ongoing work involved. All I can think about is that my friends and family are still going to be miffed when I don’t write back to them.

But hey… I love the idea of having a forum for writing about writing, about life here in San Miguel, my friends and family, and the quirks and glories of the human condition. And because I am so involved in photography and painting at the moment, I am happy to have a place to show images of my work. (Click on the Picasa album link on the right).

This Friday is the opening night of an exhibition at my local gallery, the Generator Gallery. I’ve been showing there for two years, but now, along with a group of artists, I will have a permanent space to show whatever I want, and change it as often as I like. This month my mini-show is called “All this…every day,” which is kind of my mantra here in San Miguel. There is always some colorful fiesta or procession or ritual going on, big or small. It is not unusual to come upon a neighborhood feast, or fireworks, or a full-blown blowout on one’s daily rounds. The pictures I’m showing now are of the stunning fireworks towers that will soon be charred remains; the ten foot tall paper-maché puppets that join almost every parade, and the huge paper-maché figures that are rigged with fireworks and blown up on the main square every Easter, to the amusement of all.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lulu of LuluLand, Looks like you, talks like you, it must be you--pinned down at last! Photos, paintings, witty remarks all make for a delicious blog I'll visit frequently. I'm glad there's a way to catch up with you. Love, Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Miss Lulu Torbet you have done it....somehow captured that witty, funny person we all love to love ...Someone even wrote a song about it..."Lovin Lulu".....and now we have lululand to hear and to see the latest....Since it is nearly impossible to reach you by phone or catch you on streets of SMA...it's nice to have this BLOG for a LULU FIX. . . I hope you keep it going.... .xoxo Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Aunt Lolly - great to see all of your wonderful work accessible from one spot. You are so talented - As a working mother of one-year old twins, I sometimes wonder if I will ever read a book or do anything remotely exciting and intellectual again. Great stuff! Love ya lots, Becky

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear what you have to say about LuluLand.